Northrup Schlueter prides itself on providing clients with the highest level of personal attention and strategic counseling regarding the legal matters brought to the firm. The trust of clients is the hallmark of the business and the firm’s focus is making sure the client has all of the information needed to make decisions to move their interests forward. The success of our clients is our measure and record of success and we never lose sight of that important fact. Our attorneys have extensive experience in pre-litigation counseling and negotiation and routinely represent clients in arbitration proceedings and in litigation in federal and California state trial and appellate courts
Recent increases in the use of mediation and other alternate dispute resolution mechanisms have increased the opportunity for thorough exploration of settlement before the formal litigation process. The majority of the firm’s clients involved in disputes benefit from the resolution process and are able to achieve results in settlement which get them back to their lives and their businesses.
However, the firm also recognizes that some disputes are not amenable to settlement and some issues require decision in the Courts or arbitration forums. The firm’s attorneys have extensive experience in trial, arbitration and appellate practice and when the need arises, provide forceful, zealous and effective representation of the firm’s clients.
Recent Results Achieved by Northrup Schlueter Attorneys
- Reached settlement of complex business litigation/potential class action regarding alleged product defects, false advertising and failure to warn on favorable terms which included a monetary payment of substantially less than anticipated defense costs and no requirement for the company to change its products or advertising.
- Obtained defense verdict in six figure personal injury action, after which court ordered over $500,000 in fees and costs to firm’s clients based on strategic pre-trial settlement offer.
- On the eve of a lengthy jury trial in federal court on unfair competition and copyright issues, the firm convinced the parties to take one more try at settlement and, over the course of several weeks, without a mediator or other neutral, the firm’s lead trial attorney, obtained a trial continuance and headed up the negotiations which resulted in a settlement of the claims before trial.
- Recovered over $6 million in a case involving construction defects in a custom home through extensive pre-trial mediation.
- $1.9 million verdict in a breach of contract dispute after a seven day binding arbitration.
- Obtained an emergency writ of supersedeas within 24 hours of lodging a petition for writ relief. The firm filed the petition following a trial court’s refusal to stay all proceedings pending the firm’s appeal of an interlocutory order as of right in the underlying case. The appellate court ordered an immediate stay of all litigation, and after further briefing, ordered that the stay remain in place pending the final resolution of the appeal.
- At a mandatory settlement conference on the day of trial, the firm achieved a settlement in a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty case which resulted in an agreement by the defense to pay back all funds invested by the firm’s client in the partnership in dispute.
- Achieved a defense verdict in a breach of duty case which was less than 10% of the Plaintiff’s pre-trial settlement demand and settled the case entirely after the jury returned and before judgment was entered on the verdict.
- Successfully prosecuted claims in binding arbitration for payments due the firm’s client after dissolution of a business venture between two large entities. After a mini-trial on several issues before a retired judge, a significant sum was paid to the firm’s client in settlement.
- Successfully defended structural engineer in claim of improper design resulting in damages exceeding $1.5 million to a commercial structure housing a media company with recording studios. The claims included the need to completely strip the interior to effectuate repairs and relocate the tenant. Through mediation and negotiation, we reached a resolution in an amount under $105,000.00 which included a repair protocol to achieve all necessary repairs from the exterior of the building at a fraction of the cost of the plaintiff’s claimed repairs and without interrupting the work of the media tenant.